Thursday, March 06, 2008

Running Africa

I have officially run my fifth continent. The marathon in Moshi was incredible. The whole town comes out to either support the 300 or so people who run the full 42km, or else to take part in the 5km, which some 2000+ people, including Dave, ran. Little kids wearing the free sweatbands that were given out the day before, women in their slip-on keds, everyone was out and running.

Race day started out cool but by 9am it was staring to heat up. The third 10km stretch of the race is all uphill, and by then the sun -- as well as Mt. Kilimanjaro -- was out in full force. What got me through the slow and steady climb was the fact that groups of children from the villages along the way come out and run alongside you for 5-10 minute stretches. Smiling up at you, barely breaking a sweat, and running in their rubber sandals, they were the highlight of the race.

After the turnaround at the top of the hill, at the 31km mark, the remaining 11km is all downhill and I was able to pick up speed and finish strong. I entered into the stadium (where the race ended) neck and neck with a Tanzanian man and managed to sprint and beat him to the finish line. It was small victory on my part, considering that the East African elite runners had all finished the race by the time I was passing the halfway mark.

While my time was among my slowest, I would say that the Kilimanjaro marathon will go down as one my favorites, and I crossed the finish line feeling good with a big smile on my face. Ultimately, that's what matters most.

(I can't post photos from the computer I'm on, but will do so as soon as I am able.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, congratulations. I knew it was coming up, but now it's done. Wow. That is definitely one finish line I would've loved to have been at cheering you on.

~Lisa

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! Can't wait to see the pics.