Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Ain't that America

Sunday afternoon I arrived in Des Moines, Iowa. Unable to connect to the one bus a day to Fort Dodge, I was placed in the care of a lovely Des Moines native (and hardcore Obama supporter) with whom I stayed the night. She is a grandmother 11 times over and we spent the afternoon and evening chatting about her grands as well as watching the Olympics.

Yesterday I boarded the bus to Ft. Dodge (via a transfer at the Flying J truck stop). The Des Moines Greyhound station is a slice of America that I have not experienced, perhaps ever. I could barely hear the newscast being broadcast on the wall-mounted TV over the sounds of the arcade-style shoot-'em-up video games (to which I contributed a quarter when a fellow passenger asked if I had one so he could play).

They always say Iowa is flat, and they are right. Out the window of the bus all there is is corn, corn, and more corn, as far as the eye can see.

I was met at the Ft. Dodge bus station by my friend Brian who is the Field Organizer for the Obama campaign here in Kossuth county. Last night we attended the Kossuth County Democrats Executive committee meeting.

Today is my first full day on the campaign. Let the adventure begin.
(I'll try to post some photos soon, no time right now.)

No comments: