Sunday, March 08, 2009

Disturbing find

These days I rarely shop at “regular” supermarkets. I buy what I can at the farmers market, and everything else comes either from Fairway or our local health food store. This weekend, however, I was in a bit of time crunch (and the subway was not cooperating with me) and I found myself having to shop for a dinner party at one of our local chain supermarkets.

I was genuinely appalled by the experience.

Yes, I am a spoiled New Yorker who has access to some of the best food in the country at (almost) all hours of the night, and yes I am becoming increasingly picky with my expanding culinary knowledge, blah, blah, blah. Nothing could have prepared me for this:

MICROWAVE instructions on produce! Criminal. And, the only Butternut squash I was able to find was grown in MEXICO. They grow beautiful squash just a few hours drive outside the city. Not to mention the carbon footprint generated by my four pounds of squash on its cross-continental journey to my table.

Oh, and they didn’t have any chervil either.

No comments: