Thursday, April 19, 2007

I'm hooked


I'm addicted to Barack Obama. His book, The Audacity of Hope, was able to lift me out of my readers' block and by the end (which I think is the strongest part of the book) I was ready to drop everything and volunteer for Obama's campaign. While I must admit that I have been a fan of his long before I learned more about his policies and stances, the more I read the more I am convinced that he is what this country needs right now. I had been struggling to put my finger on the main reason why I feel this, only to open the Times website yesterday morning and have Thomas Friedman articulate it beautifully for me:

[W]hen was the last time you saw a U.S. president or politician being held up as a role model abroad? It’s been awhile. And that got me thinking about Mr. Obama. It seems to me that the strongest case one could make for an Obama presidency right now is rarely articulated: it is his potential to repair the broken relationship between America and the world. As I travel around, I have never seen a president and a vice president more disliked in more places than George W. Bush and Dick Cheney.
Friedman's last sentiment has become increasingly evident to me these days as I see "Fora Bush" ("Get Out Bush") graffitied in various parts of Sao Paulo (W was here visiting last month and thousands took to the streets in protest). The main reason that I value my various stretches living outside of the US is that they have helped me to see my country as well my relationship to it with an increased clarity. In addition, having parents of different nationalities has often forced me to think more deeply about my surroundings and my relationships. More than anything I am excited by the prospect of having a President whose father is not American and who has lived outside of the US. I believe that these two factors allow Obama to see issues and the US' place in the world in ways that Bush never has or will.

Now if we could just get Obama to talk about the environment a little more, he'll be near-ideal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm psyched you liked Audacity of Hope (and that you're out of your readers' block). Am almost done with Dreams From My Father and have Audacity on the shelf waiting. Yes.

I need to get some Barack for Pres signs and stuff. People in Wrangell will love that.

~lisa

Anonymous said...

Obama has some environmental street cred. He's been pushing for better fuel efficiency standards in cars, and wants to create incentives for Detroit to build hybrids