There are a few things that I just can't get here in Sao Paulo. Each time I fly from the US back to Brazil, my suitcase without a doubt contains toothpaste (Tom's of Maine), dog chew toys (Nylobone), and peanut butter (365). You can find peanut butter here but it is overpriced and they only sell sugar-laden brands such as Skippy and Peter Pan.
I can't live without peanut butter. A day rarely goes by that I don't spread it on something: a banana, toast, a breadstick. Today I opened the peanut butter jar to find it almost empty. I wound up using more than I had anticipated since my last resupply due to the fact that a lactose intolerant friend of mine had a birthday party for which I baked the cake. In my research of dairy-free frosting (which I thought to be an oxymoron) the only recipe I could find that didn't contain dairy-free margarine (another thing you can't buy in Sao Paulo) was a peanut butter frosting to which I surrendered 3/4 of a cup of my salty elixir.
This is a potentially dire situation. I have three weeks left until I leave for New York, and an almost-empty peanut butter jar sits in my fridge. Starting today I will begin a vigilant rationing regime. I hope and pray that a rogue toasted bagel (another food I smuggle into Brazil) doesn't catch me off guard and ruin the whole plan.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Chunky or smooth?
Creamy... is there any other kind?
~Anri
Post a Comment