Thursday, July 12, 2007

Firenze - love at second sight

The highlight of our trip, for sure, was being able to return to Florence. The four days we spent there solidified for me the fact that it is one of my favorite cities I have been to, and that if I had to live in Europe, Florence would be my city of choice. As my mother and I had both already been to the various museums (and they all held the promise of a several hour wait) we spent most of our time wandering the streets, refamiliarizing ourselves with the shops we remembered (some of which were no longer there) as well as finding new and delicious places to eat. We also took a delightful day trip to Sienna and San Gimignano, as well as one, this time with Dave, to Lucca (more on that trip later).

As I sit here and type I can still feel the morning breeze as we sat at our favorite cafe and had breakfast (a croissant for my mother, a spinach omelet sandwich for me), or the sun on my face as I ran along the Arno in beautiful Cascine park. During one of my runs, a little girl on a tricycle stopped and yelled "andiamo" at me with her fist in the air. During another run, just after I crossed over the Ponte Vecchio, one of a group of men who were sitting on the curb enjoying the Sunday morning quiet yelled, "corri amore!" If only running in Sao Paulo could be so charming...

No comments: