I have flown a lot this year.
I did the math (or rather, had TerraPass do it for me): I've flown 148,435 miles this calendar year, to be exact. I have spent roughly 13 days out of the 365 at 35,000 (give or take a thousand) feet. In doing so, I have produced 59,302 pounds of carbon dioxide.
This is bad, very bad.
So, I decided that as a Christmas present to myself I would offset my carbon footprint. I realize that this is in no way better than not having produced the CO2 in the first place, but it is better than doing nothing (or so Blue Egg, my Green authority, says).
$300 poorer, I have offset 80,000 pounds of CO2 (TerraPass sells its air travel offsets in 40,000lb blocks, and I figure I can credit the difference to next year). While it might not win me a Nobel Prize, I see it as my having taken one more step on the path to a leaner, greener me.
1 comment:
hey anri, after reading your post about the terrapass, i decided to calculate my own air travel year by year for the pass for years. i keep a file of all flights i fly. anyway, i feel bad. in 2006, i flew 153,799 miles and 73,242 lbs Co2. that's insane. I feel like i should offset my CO2, but prolly be very expensive. crazy how they add up
Post a Comment