Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Freedom

During the summer of 2004 my mother and I traveled to Tibet, which remains among my top three favorite places that I have visited. Even four years ago, the damage that Chinese immigrants have inflicted on the region was all too evident. Now that the railroad from Beijing (which was under construction when I was there, despite heavy opposition from Tibetans and their supporters) is complete, I can only imagine how many more immigrants have flooded the region and are working to further erode the local culture.

Those behind the recent violence in Tibet should not go unpunished. Furthermore, China's continued economic support of Sudan through the purchase of oil as well as their support of the military junta in Burma are issues the need to be addressed. Some argue that the Olympics should not be used as a platform to voice political concerns, I disagree. If millions of sponsor and tourist dollars are going to pour into the country along with visiting athletes and leaders from around the world, I believe the host country's government should not be one that is accused of gross human rights violations.

While I don't know how I feel about boycotting the Olympics all together, as this would be very unfair to all the athletes who have been training hard these past four years, I do agree with Hillary Clinton and others that a boycott of the opening ceremony is in order as it would send a strong message to the Chinese government. I am also in support of all non-violent protesting surrounding the procession of the Olympic torch.

There is a campaign to light a candle for Tibet in your window on August 8 during the opening ceremony of the Olympics. That night, I'll be settling in to my new apartment in one of two cities, either way, there will be a flame flickering my window.

No comments: