This weekend we went to Brookline to meet our new nephew. I wanted to make a special Valentine’s meal for Dave’s sister and her husband who are hard-working parents of a handsome almost-two-month-old and a very energetic two-year-old (who also happens to be our godson). I decided on lobster as I have come to terms with them, having had to handle (a.k.a. kill) them again at work since my last post about them. I hate to say this, but it gets easier. Yes, I am now a desensitized executioner.
Valentine’s morning, Dave and I set off to Whole Foods (after ruling out Dave’s sister’s neighborhood kosher fishmonger) to procure the victims. Turns out the Whole Foods in Brookline doesn’t carry them either, but the fish guys there very graciously directed us to a place called Super 88. The name sounded a bit like that of a gas station and I was skeptical, but after a quick drive-by surveillance of the building I realized that it was an Asian market. Jackpot. We entered a brightly-lit, high-ceiling supermarket with aisles labeled “Japan,” “China,” “Vietnam/Thailand,” etc. At the back was the seafood section, and we quickly found a large tank filled with lobsters on one side and crab on the other. As I stood there surveying my prey, another customer approached the tank, grabbed a plastic strainer and a pair of tongs that were laying next to some whole fish on ice, and began reaching into the tank and grabbing lobsters. I followed his example and was soon walking to the cash register with a plastic bag full of four critters.
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Super 88 is the BEST! =)
LOVE super 88.
-D
Post a Comment