Yesterday marked the 13th annual Sao Paulo Marathon. Jacquiline Jerotich Chebor and Reuben Chepkwek, both Kenyan, were the winners. More exciting though, was the 33rd woman to cross the finish line: Erin Sprague. You may remember her name from a previous post, she is trying to become the youngest woman to have run a marathon on all seven continents and she started In the Running to raise money along the way. Well, I found her on Facebook and emailed her and we wound up exchanging several emails which led to her coming to dinner at our apartment the night before the race. We ate pasta and talked about the various marathons we've run and plan to run, and she also talked about In the Running with which I hope to get involved. Then on Sunday Dave, Kuma, and I accompanied Erin's boyfriend Dana to the finish where we all cheered her on. I am excited to get involved with the organization which raises money for grassroots-level non-profits on each continent and is currently trying to get more athletes with various challenges (not just running on every continent) involved. Erin and I will be running in the same race next year in Australia, but between then and now I will have more updates on In the Running, my involvement, and, of course, how you can get involved as well.
(Above are some photos from the marathon. Running in a sunga (like a Speedo, what the male bathing suits here are called), how very Brazilian, I just had to share. The other crazy thing we noticed - of which I don't have any photos - several people running the race barefoot!)
No comments:
Post a Comment