Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Moustache goes to Rio

One week from tomorrow I will board a plane and fly the 50 minutes it takes to arrive at Santos Dumont Airport in Rio de Janeiro. I will likely stop by the marathon expo on my way to the hotel to pick up my race number, chip, etc. Then, I will check in to the hotel and relax for the rest of the day. Dave arrives the following morning, and we're going to have lunch at an Italian place I like with a friend of mine from Williams who is currently living in Rio. After a carb-heavy lunch, I'll head back to the hotel and sit on the couch some more, maybe go for a dip in the pool.

Sunday is race day. I'm excited, and, I must say, more nervous than usual for the upcoming 42km. But, no matter what happens, I know that there will always be at least one familiar face running not-so-far behind me. Yes, the Moustache is coming to Rio. He and my other shadow, let's call him Flat-top, will drive the five hours between Sao Paulo and Rio on Friday afternoon. I don't know why they can't just fly there with me, I don't know where they're staying, heck, I don't even know if they're actually registered for the marathon. What I do know, however, is that when I get in line at the start of the race the Moustache and another man (a Rio-based runner who has been hired to run the entire race with me) will be standing close by. They will run near me until the 21km mark where Flat-top will take over for the Moustache. I have heard a rumor though, that the Moustache plans to run the entire race. Maybe once he is liberated from running with me he will take off and finish well before me, or maybe he will fall behind and I will be able to see him cross the finish line shortly after I do.

3 comments:

elizabeth said...

This is amazing. Do you think the Moustache is going to carb load before the race? Have a great run!

M. Wagner said...

Run, Anri, Run! I am so excited for you as you prep for another marathon! You are incredible and I cannot wait to hear all the stories. . .

iy. said...

what do you think moustache and flat-top call you? hehehe. i think they will miss you when you are gone. i bet they are in better shape now than they've ever been!
ps - the photo of kuma in the bday hat was too cute. he is so bewildered!