Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Calling all women runners

The results are in, and I am disappointed. Not at my time, a respectable 4:42:19, but rather at the very small number of women who participated in the Rio marathon. A mere 237 women completed the full marathon as compared to 1360 men (a ratio of 1:5.74). Just for kicks I checked the ratio for the Sao Paulo marathon and it's even more pathetic: 192 women to 2180 men (1:11.35). Compare this to the NYC Marathon (12321 women to 25558 men, 1:2.07) or the Boston Marathon (7974 women to 12364 men, 1:1.55) and it becomes clear that here in Brazil there is a severe shortage of female marathon runners. The fact that I finished 11th in my age group (females 25-29) is further evidence of the fact that we need more young women out there to join in; there were only 24 women aged 25-29 in the race!

So, if you're female and you're reading this and you run marathons (so, I guess, Jenn), the next time you want to run one, think about coming down South.

2 comments:

Kay Scanlan said...

Hey, what about me? Don't I count as a marathon runner? :)

Craziness with the stats, I'll see what I can do to support the ladies next year. For now I can only focus on chicago...

brad board babe said...

This is crazy! I wonder how the numbers – for all of the races you mention– have changed over time, too.

(thanks for the shoutout..!)