Sunday, January 13, 2008

Good perspective on life

Most of you know that Dave and I went to college together. What some people don't know is that we also lived in the same freshman entry (or "hall" as they are called at most schools). Thus, he was one of the first people I met at Williams and we participated in all of the various orientation activities together with our group of 25 of so entrymates. During orientation, there was a session called Sparks training, at the end of which we passed around sheets of paper with our names on top and people wrote comments to each other (anonymous or not, though most people opted not to sign after their remarks).

Before our wedding, while cleaning out my childhood room, I found my sheet from this session. While Dave chose to be anonymous, I would recognize that handwriting anywhere. Here's what Dave had to say about me after knowing me for a week or so:

"You have a good perspective on life and are fun to talk to." It could have been worse. When I read this to him again last night he responded, "I still feel that way."

Here's what I wrote to Dave (who also found his sheet in his files from college):

"An all around sweet guy. You add a sense of comfort to our entry community. Thank you for opening up your ideas to me." Looks like we had some deep talks that first week, I wish I had had the perspective then to see that he was my one.

Freshman year we also ran against each other for dorm president, Dave won. Sophomore year we again lived in the same dorm (a larger one that required co-presidents) and decided to run together, we lost. The photo above is the one we used on our campaign posters and is, as far as I know, the earliest photo we have of just the two of us. I think it is quite amazing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is soooo funny! that is a great pic. Dorothy

Anonymous said...

that is soooo funny! that is a great pic. Dorothy

Anonymous said...

I love this post! Evokes so many images of college days and your beginnings together. Not like I was there or anything, but I like to pretend.