Thursday, January 17, 2008

He's not fat, he's English

I am sick and tired of Brazilians stopping me on the street to admire Kuma, and then telling me "he's fat," "he needs to go on a diet," etc. Kuma is not fat. Our vet says he is fine. I have seen overweight dogs aplenty here in Sao Paulo, but our beloved (who eats nothing but the best home-cooked meals in highly regulated portions) is not one of them.

I think that people here are confused as they are not used to seeing true English, show bred labs (more on the distinctions between "show bred," "field bred," and "pet bred" labs here). Most labs here in Sao Paulo seem to be pet bred, or mixed with other breeds and, therefore, are smaller and not as barrel-chested as Kuma. On the chart to the right his is a solid 5 (which is "ideal," "overweight" begins at 6. For a full description of the chart, click here).

He's not fat, he just has a big chest.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Funny, I remember girls defending their girlfriends with similar arguments in college. For some reason, someone was always called a bitch too.