The purpose of the race was to help raise awareness about the state of the environment. There were several information booths highlighting issues that are important in Brazil such as the trafficking of wild animals and the destruction of the Amazon. There was also a raffle that you could enter to win a bike (thus reducing your carbon footprint). At the end of the race, in addition to a medal, all participants were given a seedling to plant. And, my favorite touch: instead of a photo backdrop emblazoned with race sponsors’ logos, there were two huge nature scenes (one forest, one water) in front of which we could pose…
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Last day
Sunday marked our last full day in São Paulo. We kicked it off by participating in the Eco Run (I ran the 10k, Dave the 5k). It was a fitting way to bring closure to my time in Brazil, where I have probably run more than anywhere else: I trained for three marathons in the parks of São Paulo and I ran the Rio marathon last year. I had never run a race in São Paulo and it was fun to be able to run through the streets of the city I have come to call home. Also, it was my first time running a 10k race, and I enjoyed the distance much more than I thought I would.
The purpose of the race was to help raise awareness about the state of the environment. There were several information booths highlighting issues that are important in Brazil such as the trafficking of wild animals and the destruction of the Amazon. There was also a raffle that you could enter to win a bike (thus reducing your carbon footprint). At the end of the race, in addition to a medal, all participants were given a seedling to plant. And, my favorite touch: instead of a photo backdrop emblazoned with race sponsors’ logos, there were two huge nature scenes (one forest, one water) in front of which we could pose…


No run in São Paulo would be complete for me without my two favorite running mates who ran the entire 10k right behind me…
Eric was nice enough to offer his apartment for the party, which was very convenient as we lived in the same building (I’m still getting used to writing about our time in Brazil in the past tense). Most of our close friends and Dave’s closest co-workers were in attendance, and it was the best send off we could have hoped for.
The purpose of the race was to help raise awareness about the state of the environment. There were several information booths highlighting issues that are important in Brazil such as the trafficking of wild animals and the destruction of the Amazon. There was also a raffle that you could enter to win a bike (thus reducing your carbon footprint). At the end of the race, in addition to a medal, all participants were given a seedling to plant. And, my favorite touch: instead of a photo backdrop emblazoned with race sponsors’ logos, there were two huge nature scenes (one forest, one water) in front of which we could pose…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i love that your 'friends' got medals and numbers. they're probably in the best shape in their lives. it's always bittersweet to leave a place, but welcome home. i mentioned the catering idea before i knew you were going to culinary school, but now that i know, i feel like it was prophetic. only, i said it after you'd already decided to go to school.
Post a Comment