Monday, August 13, 2007

Falcon what?

Our schedule for the family reunion was entirely in Dutch, most of which Dave was able to translate for me. However, there was one item on yesterday's itinerary - sandwiched between mass and lunch - that Dave couldn't understand. I asked one of Dave's cousins at breakfast and she looked at me and matter-of-factly translated, "falconry." I must admit, while I may have heard the word before, I didn't really know what falconry entailed. Dave's definition was, "something medieval kings and queens did for entertainment, involving falcons." I'm not a lover of birds, in fact I find them to be quite disagreeable, so when we arrived at the lawn behind the castle to find about a dozen falcons, owls, etc. perched on metal stands, I can't say I was jumping for joy. But, it did put a smile on my face when Dave exclaimed excitedly, "that one's a peregrine falcon!" (The peregrine is Dave's favorite animal.) After an hour spent divided between four stations explaining various elements of falconry (all of which was in Dutch, so I wandered in and out, taking care of my nephew for a while as well), the real fun began. There was a "demonstration" where volunteers could have a falcon land on their leather glove-clad arm, which, I'm guessing, was one of the highlights of Dave's weekend.

1 comment:

qsoz said...

PFs are the fastest birds. They can over 200 mph in a dive!