
It is always slightly disorienting to arrive somewhere new at night, especially when your flight lands at 10:45pm and the sun has yet to fully set. By the time I cleared customs and was on the bus to my hotel, however, it was fully dark out and so I wasn't able to get much of a feel for my surroundings. I awoke this morning to the very forceful sun, seeping its way through the curtains above my small single bed. After a quick breakfast, I set out to explore. The minute I stepped outside, the cool air kissed my cheeks and my lungs were a little overwhelmed as to what to do with such clean air. Then, when I turned the corner two blocks down and saw the city, the water, and the mountains simultaneously unfurl before me, I knew I had made the right choice to come all this way. An hour or so later I went for a run along the water (my very last before the marathon) and continued to soak in the gorgeousness of my surroundings. Thus far, I have discovered (all within walking distance of my hotel) a delightful little bakery, a vegetarian restaurant where I plan to dine this evening, and two natural food stores. And, I bought myself a ticket to go whale watching on Thursday morning.
I have fallen in love with Reykjavik.
1 comment:
I know what you mean about arriving to a new city late at night. I love those mornings after when the place just presents itself to you.
I'm glad you made it safely to iceland. isnt the air so clean? unbelievably so.
have fun exploring and I hope you see whales tomorrow.
~lisa
p.s. i love your frequent blogging lately.
Post a Comment