Saturday, August 11, 2007

Cows and wildflowers before breakfast

Yesterday afternoon, after much speculation and fanfare, we finally arrived at the site of our family reunion: Chateau Jemeppe in Harigmont, Belgium (do click on the link as the photos are much nicer than any I would be able to take). We have taken over the entire castle and have been eating and drinking like kings and queens since last night.

This morning I set out for my last long training run - 12 miles - until November. For the first hour I was simply circling around, getting the lay of the town a little. I first tried to run on the main road for a bit, but as it is virtually shoulderless and Belgians seem to like to drive like they're on the Autobahn, I quickly ducked onto the smaller surrounding streets. Finally, for the second hour of my run, I discovered the most amazing gently-paved road. After a long uphill with dense woods on either side, the trees gave way to cow pastures and fields of wildflowers for as far as the eye could see. It felt like I was running on the top of the world, and at times I didn't know where my sweat ended and the morning mist, which enveloped everything, began. It was so quiet that approaching cars (only five of which passed me once I found my road) sounded like jet engines at take-off, and, once, I was quite startled by the sound of a cow passing gas. I must have been equally startling to the animals as many a grazing horse or cow stopped munching to look up and stare at me as I ran by. I also saw some cotton tails running away from me and had to, at times, watch my step so as to avoid squashing a snail or slug.

After this morning's glorious run I can safely say: I am SO ready for Reykjavik.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't belive that you wrote "passing gas."
Anyway, sounds wonderful.
Dorothy