Sunday, October 21, 2007

Back in the saddle again

This morning I went running for the first time in five weeks. I was able to run 20 minutes (with a five minute walking break in the middle) and that was enough. Two months ago the same amount of effort would have likely resulted in 8-10 miles. It was a rude awakening as to the speed with which fitness is lost. The few pounds that I lost in India were likely the result of muscle turning into fat, and therefore not at all of the desired sort. I have not been this out of shape since, perhaps, before college. But, I am optimistic. I have about a month until I formally start training for Kilimanjaro, which means a month of running and swimming to try and regain what I have lost.

As I was running, in a park close to the mostly-residential area of Tokyo where my grandmother lives, the only other runners I saw were men. I passed by many women, but they all gave the me the "Women are supposed to be giggly, effortlessly thin, and wear lots of make-up, not athletic and, god forbid, sweaty" look. And people wonder why I could never live in Japan.

1 comment:

iy. said...

... and why i could never live in korea. (not to mention that i can't even fit into a lot of size Large clothing there.) secretly i kind of have pipe dreams of going to seoul and starting a feminist, anti-racist, decolonization movement.... but not to much avail, as i can barely speak in the day-to-day of home/shopping/restaurants.