

Walking along the footbridge between Takashimaya and Lumine (two large department stores in the busy Shinjuku neighborhood of Tokyo), you will notice a long line that spans across almost the entire bridge. My mother speculated that perhaps a new play or movie was opening and people were lining up for tickets. But really, what this mostly young horde is waiting for are donuts. That's right, Krispy Kreme has opened its first store in Japan right here in Shinjuku, and falls hottest new accessory is a dozen donut box in a clear plastic bag emblazoned with the KK logo. My mother and I didn't believe it when we heard that people were willing to wait up to two hours for something that New Yorkers can barely wait 10 minutes for, but yesterday we saw it with our own eyes. Here in Japan, all things American are seen as the epitome of cool, and are therefore worshiped, especially by the younger generation.
In true Japanese fashion, even the line outside the donut shop is organized with the utmost care. Three blue-suited men (see photos above) are in charge of the line which first snakes in front of the store and then continues around the corner (though the stairs, which are used by the public, are carefully avoided so as not to cause any trouble to non-donut-waiters). Thus, every once in a while, one of the blue suits will usher 10 people from the longer line, above the stairs on the footbridge, to join the lucky few who are in front of the store. And, for those who wish to know, the approximate waiting time (which was one hour and 50 minutes when I took the middle photo above) is clearly displayed on a sign outside the store. The blue suits are also in charge of wheeling the bins of precious cargo that arrive up the ramp to keep the store stocked with the sugary treats.
Next time I come to Tokyo I'm thinking of stocking up on Krispy Kremes, my mom thinks I can make a killing selling "fresh from New York City" donuts to those waiting at the back of the line. I guess we'll just have to see how long this trend holds up.

No comments:
Post a Comment