Saturday, October 20, 2007

Saying good bye

My last night in India, our tour group took a boat out on the Ganges and held a candle lighting ceremony. The men who rowed our boat lit hundreds of little candles, set in bowls made of leaves, which were then placed in the river, symbolizing a wish or the memory of a loved one. I placed my fair share of candles and made many wishes. It was a fitting end to my time in India.

The next morning I learned - from Dave over the phone - that my grandfather (my father's father) had passed away. I ended my trip a day early and, five plane rides (Varanasi-Delhi, Delhi-Chicago, Chicago-NYC, NYC-Atlanta, Atlanta-Florence) later, arrived in Florence, South Carolina, where my grandfather spent the last ten or so years of his life, and where Dave and my parents were waiting. The day after I arrived was the funeral, which was small but very nice, and my father and I both spoke. I was hoping to make it through my eulogy without crying, but I wasn't able to, as all of the memories came flooding back. I am so glad that Dave and I were able to be there with my parents, representing my grandfather's family, as well as his days spent as a Northerner in Connecticut and New York.

The day after the funeral I flew to New York where I had one night to do laundry and repack before getting on a plane to Japan the following afternoon. India and South Carolina both feel miles away as I sit here in a smoky Internet cafe in Tokyo, but it has been good to see my grandmother and aunts as well as spend some quality time with my mother who is here as well. Tomorrow Jenn arrives and the real fun begins...

No comments: